Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I always read 降る as ふる but for a particular sentence I noticed that the reading was written as くだる. Are there any tips to help figure out which reading to use?

Examples:

たとえ雨が降ろうとサイクリングにいくぞ。
I will go cycling even if it rains. [M]

目が覚めてみると、雪が降っていた。
I awoke to find it snowing.

I'm not sure if this is user-error. When I click on listen, the woman reads it using ふる, but the software wants me to use くだる. Maybe I should change the question to ask what I should say in my bug report? ☺

share|improve this question

I know that there are some cases where 降る is read as くだる, but if you know some examples, please include them in the question. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 5 '11 at 22:44

Sure, it's from a sentence in my SRS deck that I keep getting wrong. Didn't want to dig around, but I'll find it. –  Louis Jul 5 '11 at 23:16
As for the two examples you presented, they are both ふる. –  sawa Jul 6 '11 at 0:02

Good to know I was actually reading it correctly, but now I'm kind of curious to see a sentence with くだる. –  Louis Jul 6 '11 at 0:07
I can post a Bible verse where it is くだる if that kind of thing isn't "against" the "rules". –  istrasci Jul 6 '11 at 0:25
show 1 more comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

広辞苑 lists both 【下】and【降】in the entry for 【くだる】. It says that【降】is often used when くだる means "going/coming down from a high place to a lower place all at once (as opposed to a gradual descent)" or when it means like "surrendering to an enemy" (降参).

Since the former definition is quite a common occurrence, you might see the 【降】 in written and/or a more 改まった context.

Here is a Bible verse demonstrating the former. As I posted in the comment to the OP, I was a little concerned about posting this, but feel it is directly grammatically related to the question.

「イエスは洗礼を受けると、すぐ水の中から上がられた。そのとき、天がイエスに向かって開いた。イエスは、神の霊が鳩【はと】のように御自分の上に降って来るのを御覧になった。」 マタイによる福音書 3:16

share|improve this answer

By “both letters in the entry for 【くだる】,” do you mean 下る and 降る? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 6 '11 at 1:59

Oops...Yes, that's what I meant. –  istrasci Jul 6 '11 at 2:35
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.