Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sorry, I am new at learning Japanese and I am trying my best to figure things out from word-by-word translations... but sometimes it's hard to piece together with just the internet.

I was reading a blog wherein this guy drew a new character. This is what he wrote under it:

以外にカワイイかもラブラブ 自分の人生なんていうもんに使ってるんだ...(;´д`)トホホ…

I am not entirely sure what the second sentence really means? What does "mon" mean? And I sort of get the first sentence, saying that it's other than 'kawaii' but what does kamo mean? is it short for something?

Thank you for your help in advance!

share|improve this question
「以外に」は漢字変換が間違えています。「意外に」です。「意外に~~~かも(しれない)。」と言います。 –  Choko Jun 27 at 4:16

ていうもん = というもの でしょう? –  virmaior Jun 27 at 4:37
@virmaior はい。もう少し口語的でない文章に変えると、「自分の人生を、なんというものに使っているんだ」という感じになると思います。 –  Choko Jun 27 at 4:50

1 Answer 1

もん = a colloquial version of もの

in this case, this is in the expression というもの

かも = a colloquial version of かもしれない

it means "probably" and is a construction often used to soften what one says before.

share|improve this answer

I am oddly relieved that this had nothing to do with gates and ducks. :) –  Eiríkr Útlendi Jun 27 at 5:32

Thank you for your help! I still don't understand how the sentence translates over though. Could you please help me with that? Thank you! –  trent boyett Jun 27 at 7:18
@trentboyett Sorry but translation requests are off-topic on this site. Your sentences can be rewritten as 「[意外]{いがい}に[可愛]{かわい}いかもしれない。ラブラブ。(私は、)自分の人生を、[何]{なん}という[物]{もの}に使っているんだろう?トホホ。」 If you need further support please feel free to visit our chat room, where translation requests are on-topic and it'd be much easier to communicate :) –  Choko Jun 27 at 10:38
@trentboyett To further clarify, translation requests are off-topic but if you show a genuine effort and an attempt to translate, they are ok. –  Szymon Jun 27 at 11:10

I don't know much Japanese... just starting so it'd be hard for me to try to translate based on what I know. From what I know so far, it wouldn't make any sense. Thanks for the heads up. –  trent boyett Jun 27 at 20:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.