Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a question with the follow sentence:

田中さんはビデオゲーム遊んでいます

Is the particle に okay?

share|improve this question

Welcome to Japanese Language on StackExchange! Please see our Help section for questions that are on-topic. This borders on a direct translation request (which are off-topic), so you might want to refine the question. Maybe you can include why you chose to use , any alternatives you might have considered, etc. –  istrasci Jun 25 at 22:36

I'm not 100% sure, but what I think the question might be: if one simply plays a game, I think might be the appropriate particle, but in some cases, like online multiplayer games, or ones with sufficient immersive reality, one might consider themselves as being in the game. So maybe in that case, might or には work? Could changing the particle be a quick shorthand way to convey that my sense of agency is not toward the game but within the game? If that's what's being asked, then it would be a very interesting question (to me, anyway). –  Dave M G Jun 26 at 1:18
My vote is it's a particle question, not a translation question. Looks fine to me. –  Kaji Jun 26 at 1:33
@Kaji, I think the problem is not so much whether it's translation versus particles, but even as a particle question, the asker doesn't demonstrate any effort on their side, so we don't know why this particular usage confuses them. We don't know the context, the source, or what the user thinks the meaning might be, or anything like that. It's hard to provide a specific answer if we don't know if the asker has even a basic understanding of particles. –  Dave M G Jun 26 at 4:05

When 遊ぶ means "to study around contries or insist your theory there", it can take locative に. –  user4092 Jun 26 at 12:10

1 Answer 1

Is the particle に okay?

I'm afraid not. I think you can say it like this:

田中さんはビデオゲーム遊んでいます。

This is like "with", as in the instrumental (具格{ぐかく}) case, rather than "in" or "on".

Or you can also say:

田中さんはビデオゲームをしています。
田中さんはビデオゲームをして遊んでいます。

share|improve this answer

Just an additional question, as per my comment on the question, how would you express "I played in the game"? As in, a person had an avatar in a virtual reality game, and then inside the game they played around. So it's not that they play the game, but instead, within the game they play. Would ゲームには遊んでいます work? –  Dave M G Jun 26 at 6:21

@Dave M G: "I played in the game" would be ゲームの中で遊んだ. –  user4092 Jun 26 at 12:06
@DaveMG Thank you for the edit. You'd use (物)で遊ぶ to mean "play with (物)", and (場所)で遊ぶ to mean "play in (場所)" too. eg: 部屋で遊ぶ(play in a room), オモチャで遊ぶ(play with a toy). When I hear ゲームで遊ぶ I think it means "play (with) a game", so I would use ゲームの中で遊ぶ to mean "play in a game". (But I'd use ゲームで for "in a game" when it's not ambiguous/confusing: ゲームで敵を倒した, メタルギアでワニを食べた, バイオハザードでルイスに撃たれた etc.) –  Choko Jun 26 at 16:08

I believe that in this case the particle で is not the appropriate because the video game is an idea rather than a psychical object, but if we talk about the interface (xbox, play, pc..) that are being used the particle で it's ok. Thank you for the response. –  unzero Jun 26 at 22:41

Thank you for the additional explanation. :). –  Dave M G Jun 27 at 0:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.