Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What does the じゃもの in 春じゃもの mean? The phrase is a koto song title, so I can't give much context. I think my teacher said it meant something like "clearly", or "the essence of". But I can't remember, and I was wondering if the じゃ was では and if the mono was 物.

share|improve this question
じゃ is the copula (equivalent of だ) in some dialects. See this chart for more details. As such, the もの here is probably the "grammatical" もの, not 物. Not sure how this could relate to "clearly" or "the essence of", though, so I don't really have a full answer for you. –  senshin Jun 23 at 6:43

じゃ is a slurring of では in many cases (e.g. じゃない, 飲んじゃだめ, etc.), however this particular example isn't quite that. As senshin noted, it's being used as a straight replacement for だ in this case. –  Kaji Jun 23 at 6:49
Roughly means "Because it's spring", "It's spring, so..", etc. I am somehow pretty sure OP has seen ~~だもん if not ~~だもの. Former is more informal. –  非回答者 Jun 23 at 9:57
Just wondering, why has nobody actually written an answer as an answer... instead of in the comments section? –  Worthy7 Jun 23 at 12:21
@Kaji The copula じゃ is from ぢゃ < であ < である rather than では. –  snailboat Jun 23 at 14:00

1 Answer 1

I think it is

春だもの。
春だもん。
(≒春だから。)

said in an archaic way or in 役割語-老人語 (or maybe in a regional dialect).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.