Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I noticed on my trip to Japan that tour guides in museums etc use a very interesting type of language. It seems to be used almost exclusively by people in Osaka and Kyoto.

There are two features that stand out to me: the first one is that 〜ます seems to be used attributively very often. People say things like ここにありますもの and 〜ますので, while IIRC in standard Japanese ます does not have a 連体形. Forms like 〜まして, 〜ましょうと〜ます are also very commonly used, while supplantion by plain form is supposedly correct.

Secondly, people use けれども a lot and almost never use けれど or けど. This is not really "wrong", but I personally have never ever seen けれども in print. Obviously ど can be followed by も ever since Old Japanese, but 〜ども seems to be quite rare in Modern Japanese. Also, a weird invalid accent pattern seems to be used: けれども{LLLH}.

What is this type of 丁寧語 language? Is it a variant of 標準語 from Kansai area? I am sure that in situations where correct language is more mandated, like newscasting and text-to-speech train station announcements, this kind of "overgeneralized 丁寧語" is not used.

share|improve this question
Just a note on the frequency of けれども: it has 23467 entries in the BCCWJ –  ssb Jun 23 at 4:41
けれども{HLHL} actually can have two stressed syllables. Further more, the last syllable of a phrase often gets emphasized, which is a part of intonation rather than accent. –  Yang Muye Jun 23 at 12:13
こういう話し方する人、多いですよね。いちいち語尾を上げて話す人。若者言葉かもしれませんが。「美しい日本語」とは見なされないので、真似しないほうがいいです。 ビデオ from 1:20 「けれ[ども]{LH}~、け[ども]{LH}、~さ[んと]{LH}~、さ[んと]{LH}~、け[れど]{LH}~、ひ[とと]{LH}、~けれ[ども]{LH}~、‌​けれ[ども]{LH}~」 from 3:37「あからさ[まに]{LH}~、きる[んで]{LH}~、とい[うか]{LH}~、が[わは]{LH}~、ききた[いし]{LH}~、ききた[いし]{LH}~、‌​とか[言って]{LLH}~、ですけれ[ども]{LH}~、いらっ[しゃる]{LH}~、新聞[とか]{LH}~、方[だと]{LH}~・・・」 –  Choko Jun 24 at 7:16
@Choko 若者言葉だけではなくて、ちょっと女っぽいしゃべり方と思わないか? –  Darius Jahandarie Jun 25 at 22:07

1 Answer 1

up vote 0 down vote accepted

ますのでis not wrong usage of grammar,but not appropriate. It's called「バカ丁寧」

このごろ毎晩、疲れて帰ってくるので、
   シャワーを浴びたあと、
   オンザロックを飲んでから
   軽い食事をして休むことにしています。

Words above are suitable for common use,words below are to much respection that sounds like a little foolish.

このごろ毎晩、疲れて帰ってきますので、
   シャワーを浴びましたあと、
   オンザロックを飲みましてから
   軽い食事をしまして休むことにしております。
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.