Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Probably a very simple question for those more familiar with Japanese language. How この間 are usually pronounced? Dictionary gives both このかん and このあいだ, I was wondering which one is most likely to be used in modern language, and is there any significant difference in meaning between pronunciations?

share|improve this question
I've never heard or seen the reading このカン. What dictionary are you working from? –  virmaior Jun 21 at 15:08
@virmaior I use zkanji and while marked as not frequently used, このカン is still mentioned. –  Dmitriy Jun 21 at 15:16

There's also このま –  Kaji Jun 21 at 17:35

@snailboat I can't cite any specific quotation offhand right this moment, but I've heard it in frustrated exclamations a few times. –  Kaji Jun 21 at 19:03
間 is read ま when it means "a silent pause". search.yahoo.co.jp/… –  非回答者 Jun 22 at 0:16

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Both are used, but the possible reading depends on the meaning.

during this time period: このかん or このあいだ (I think both are OK)

I have been sitting here for the last two hours. During this period, nobody came.
2時間前からここに座っている。この間【あいだ/かん】、ここには誰も来なかった。

the other day: このあいだ

I went to a movie with my family the other day.
この間【あいだ】、家族と映画に行きました。

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.