Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Anybody who has visited a Japanese city will have noticed that peculiar type of advertising not common elsewhere.

Packets of tissues containing some promotional offer or even quite like a calling card are ubiquitous. Is there a special term for them?

share|improve this question

I love those tissues! Never had to search for Kleenex when I was in Japan. –  istrasci Jun 18 at 14:47

2 Answers 2

up vote 11 down vote accepted

ポケットティッシュ is the generic term for those tissue packs. As far as I know, there is no one word for "ポケットティッシュ for promotion".

Manufacturers of those tissue packs seem to call them:

• [販促]{はんそく}用の(ポケット)ティッシュ (販促 = abbreviation for 販売促進 (sales promotion))
  • [宣伝]{せんでん}用の(ポケット)ティッシュ
  • プロモーション用の(ポケット)ティッシュ

Edit: Everyone knows those promotional tissue packs, so in general you can just say 「駅でティッシュをもらった」 and 「ティッシュ配りのアルバイト」and so on, without the risk of misunderstanding.

share|improve this answer

I'll probably call it 駅前で配ってるティッシュ. As in 「駅前で配ってるやつでごめんね」 (they are usually bad quality).

share|improve this answer

Oddly I usually get them from places other than in front of train stations myself. Usually on the street in entertainment districts. But I've also been given them directly by sales reps when hitchhiking or by the owner of a rider house I stayed in (-: –  hippietrail Jun 18 at 7:21
I do not think OP is asking how you personally call it. –  非回答者 Jun 19 at 0:13

I don't think Enno is alone though. I did more Googling as the answers and comments came in and saw such things mentioned. –  hippietrail Jun 19 at 1:31

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.