Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The book says use ~ている for a) an action in progress and b) a past event that is connected with the present, and it has examples like スーさんは本を読んでいます, and all the examples are using ています. But when I look it up in the dictionary, it says その本なら読んでいるよ. So when do I use ~ている and when do I use ~ています?

share|improve this question

Do you know the difference? –  ssb Jun 18 at 0:18

@ssb: no i don't.... –  Gavin Z. Jun 18 at 0:24

Where are you seeing these examples and explanations? The difference between plain form and polite form is one of those things you learn on your first day studying Japanese. –  ssb Jun 18 at 0:49

@ssb: sigh... could you recommend me any websites/textbooks? I'm self learning –  Gavin Z. Jun 18 at 0:55

I see Tae Kim's grammar guide recommended for basic/free resources: guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete/verbs –  ssb Jun 18 at 1:09

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

~ています is simply more polite than ~いる. You would use ~ています with strangers, people you just met, in a business situation, or just to be more polite. ~ている would be used in writing, or in casual situations.

share|improve this answer

so basically they have the same meaning? –  Gavin Z. Jun 18 at 0:24

Yes basically, but are used in different situations as per above. A lot of times Japanese textbooks will use the polite form only (います) because it is always 'safe', but maybe with men and more casual situations you will see the other form (いる) –  Mac Jun 18 at 14:22

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.