Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Taking an example from a page naruto linked in another thread:


My inclination is to read this as うえ since it's followed by で, however I've got a nagging feeling it might be read as じょう instead.

  • Is my instinct correct in that it's read as うえ?
  • Are there times where 連体形 + じょう is the appropriate way to read it?
share|improve this question
I may be wrong, but isn't this the 連体形? – ssb Jun 16 '14 at 23:54
@snailboat Expert opinion? – Kaji Jun 16 '14 at 23:55
Um, I don't claim to be an expert :-) But since you asked I can comment anyway. I would call it the 連体形 rather than 終止形 because it's adnominalized to a noun, but since 連体形・終止形 have merged for verbs, it doesn't seem like an important distinction to me. – snailplane Jun 17 '14 at 0:33
I'd consider it 連体形 as well. But as @snailboat notes, it hardly matters for verbs anymore. But consider the 形容動詞 for which the distinction may still be noted. ~なる上. – Dono Jun 17 '14 at 0:52
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It is read ウエ as you were inclined to think. I do not believe there are any times when it would be read as ジョウ after a dictionary form. It is read as ジョウ when appearing directly after a noun.

See also

share|improve this answer
Ah, noun + 上 may have been what was causing my confusion then. Thanks! – Kaji Jun 16 '14 at 20:46
Maybe I'm not familiar with the term "dictionary form". So クラウド is not a dictionary form? – dainichi Jun 16 '14 at 23:35
@dainichi By "dictionary form" I'm referring to how you would look the word up in the dictionary. Since Japanese nouns are fairly stable in nature, it's usually used to refer to 終止形 verbs, and occasionally to い-adjectives (not sure of the name for the base form there). – Kaji Jun 16 '14 at 23:51
@dainichi Material for Japanese learners frequently uses the term "dictionary form" (or 辞書形) to refer to the 終止形・連体形 of verbs, since that is their citation form in dictionaries. See, e.g. jpfmw.ru/assets/files/Nihongo_kyozai/… or, I imagine, any introductory textbook for English-speaking Japanese learners. – senshin Jun 17 '14 at 0:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.