Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

From Jim Breen's EDICT:

ワールドカップ, ダブルはい 【W杯】

What is most commonly used?

Is W ever pronounced the same as 'W' in English and not ダブル?

Will people ever say:

ダブルカップ?

ワールドはい?

I know everyone keeps refering to:

Pronunciation of W

but that still doesnt answer my question if people ever just use the pronunciation of English 'W' to say Japanese 'W' - I mean there is a clear difference between W and ダブル.

share|improve this question
japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/5642/pronunciation-of-w this regarding ダブル –  Ash Jun 15 at 10:27

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Just from living in Japan, speaking to Japanese people, and more than anything consuming lots of Japanese media...

ワールドカップ is by far the most common.
だぶるはい I feel like should exist but I can't actually remember the last time I heard someone say this.
ダブルカップ, ワールドはい no.

If you need some extra evidence I found a chiebukuro post where the answers basically back me up that ワールドカップ is the most common.

1.ワールドカップ以外の読み方を聞いたことがありません。

2.基本どんな読み方でも悪くはないけどワールドカップって読む人が多いですよね~

3.サッカーとか知らないような人だったら、もしかして読むかも知れませんが、普通は読みません。というか、W杯って言葉なんですけど、何かに書いたりするような時に、ワールドカップという言葉を短縮するのには使ったりしますけど、会話ではワールドカップとは言いますけど、一般的にW杯とは会話では言いませんよね!? etc etc

The pronunciation of W in Japanese is discussed here.

share|improve this answer

W杯 is not meant to be pronounced. No one knows how to say this out loud "correctly".

If conveying the meaning is important, I would read this as "ワールドカップ", maybe after one second of consideration. It's like saying "The First World War" for WWI.

If what's literally written on the paper is important, I would say "ダブリュー・はい", knowing this is an unusual way to refer to The World Cup. It's like saying "double-u, double-u, ai" for WWI.

The correct way to say "W", I believe, is ダブリュー. Announcers always say "ダブリュー、ダブリュー、ダブリュー、ドット、グーグル、ドット、コム" for "www.google.com".

I always pronounce W as ダブル only when it clearly means double, second, or extra (Wチャンス). But I hear many Japanese people say ダブル regardless of the context, probably because ダブル is easier to pronounce.

share|improve this answer

+1 for the first sentence. –  非回答者 Jun 16 at 4:08

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.