Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For this sentence, "保存をお忘れなくですぞ!” I am guessing the word "naku" is a suffix meaning not? So then it'd be saying, "do not forget to save!"? And is the "o" before "wasure" there to make it more polite?

share|improve this question
御~なく is a somewhat common pattern, e.g. お構いなく, ご心配なく, etc. See also this question. –  senshin Jun 14 at 20:59

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

お忘れなく means 忘れずに or 忘れないで, don't forget. It's the negative form of an honorific form of 忘れる. Here is the definition of お/ご~ある/ない in the dictionary:

ある 動詞の連用形や動作性の漢語名詞などに付いて、多く「お…ある」「御(ご)…ある」の形で、その動作をする人に対する尊敬を表す。「おいで―・れ」「御笑覧―・れ」

More examples:

お忘れなく -> 忘れないで
お構いなく -> 構わないで
ご遠慮なく -> 遠慮しないで
ご心配なく -> 心配しないで
お咎めなく -> 咎めないで
お見逃しなく -> 見逃さないで

Normally, you don't put です after なく, and ですぞ sounds somewhat archaic.

I presume ending every sentence with ですぞ is the speaker's idiosyncrasy.

share|improve this answer

Oh I see, ok it must be using desu after naku because this is very formal text. –  Ash Jun 14 at 21:32
@Ash, I mean なくです is almost ungrammatical, and ですぞ does not sound formal. I think the author is trying to achieve some dramatic effect. –  Yang Muye Jun 14 at 21:38

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.