Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There's a particular style of joke/pun in Japanese that I'm not sure how to describe, so let me provide some examples:

カミングスーン、神だけに。

(said by someone who has recently become a 神)

バスケットだけに助っ人募集中。

(said by someone who is looking for people to help out a basketball team)

A: それに、学校の皆に会えば、キャッチフレーズが思いつきそうだなあって。
B: 思いつく?
C: お餅つきだけに!

(following a conversation about giving mochi to classmates and trying to come up with a catchphrase)

Now that we've established what I'm talking about, my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a name for these jokes? (Would you just call them ダジャレ?)

2. What is going on grammatically in these jokes? This doesn't seem to be one of the simple/compositional usages of だけ+に found e.g. here at dictionary.goo.ne.jp.

3. Is there a rough English equivalent of these jokes? I've seen translations that basically introduce a pun related to the topic of the joke and then append "No pun intended", presumably corresponding to the だけに part. Of course, joke translation is a peril-fraught thing, so I'm not placing too much stock in this.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

1. This kind of (rather poor) pun is generally considered to be おやじギャグ. As far as I know, there is no word specifically referring to "AだけにB" jokes.

2. I think the third meaning of that dictionary (であるから、それにふさわしく) can be applied. 「バスケット, therefore I say, スケット」.

3. Sorry, I'm not the right person to answer this part of your question. However, "no pun intended" seems to be very loose translation, because a pun is certainly intended when you use "だけに" in this way.

share|improve this answer
Even when people use 'no pun intended' they sometimes well and truly intended to make the pun. –  jogloran Jun 12 at 17:49

@jogloran I didn't know that. Thanks! –  naruto Jun 12 at 23:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.