Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

These verbs:

Are all listed as 五段 verbs, but they don't follow the usual conjugation rules for them.
For example:

• 命令形: いらっしゃる -> いらっしゃい, not いらっしゃれ
  • 連用形: Same as above, not いらっしゃり

Is there a separate name/classification for these types of verbs? Such as カ変 for 来る and サ変 for する.

share|improve this question
And ござる, today in the form ございます. – snailboat Jun 9 '14 at 8:08
It also bears noting that expected regular forms such as いらっしゃります or くださります did exist. C.f. 「一升ざけを 下さります 」 from the Tōkaidōchū Hizakurige‌​, written in the early 1800s, or 「どなたもよふ いらっしゃりました 。きつひ御見かぎりで ござります 」 from the Kakutsū Yūshi by Utagawa Kunimasa, published in 1797. I suspect the modern forms arose as a kind of contraction or erosion common in oft-used words, such that the interstitial /-r-/ dropped out of the stem forms for the 連用形 and the 命令形. – Eiríkr Útlendi Jun 9 '14 at 18:18
My guess is that these are remnants of western dialect in the standard language from when the power shifted from West to East, similar to ありがとう,おはよう,ようこそ etc. instead of ありがたく,おはやく,よくこそ. But others probably know the details better than I do. – dainichi Jun 10 '14 at 1:33
I haven't found an explanation for why /r/ is elided only in those five verbs and only in certain constructions (e.g. with ます). Martin 1975 does note that the /r/ is retained in certain other constructions (see p.347). – snailboat Jun 10 '14 at 2:58

2 Answers 2

dainichi's comment in the OP is right.

These are left-overs of western dialect that are actually still used today:

Wants たい ー> とう (usually in the negative)

• 行きたくないな・行きとうないな or 行きとうなかね

て/た forms of 「う」verbs

• 何買ったの?・なんこうたと?

General Phonetic Shift ら行 sounds to い

• それ何?・そいなん?
  • その人誰?・そん人だいね?
  • 二人は?・ふたいは?

• 早く行きなさいよ!・はよう行きんしゃい!

With these it's easy to see how ありがとう and いらっしゃい came about.

share|improve this answer
It could help to explain a little further: as I understand it, ありがとう is from ありがたく. When the /k/ was lost, that gave ありがたう, and the regular sound change from /au/ to /oː/ resulted in ありがとう. So とう is not directly from たい. – snailboat Dec 28 '14 at 4:10
You're right yeah, I'll make the edit. – fosskers Dec 28 '14 at 6:04

Again, please refer to the below sites. Those you mentioned are 敬語。

いらっしゃる ⇒ 尊敬語, 五段(四段)活用(Hereunder referred to as a,b,c,d,e,f accordingly)。

未然,a いらっしゃらない。

連用,b いらっしゃいます。

終止,c いらっしゃる。

連体,d いらっしゃる時

仮定,e いらっしゃれば

命令,f いらっしゃい(れ)or いらっしゃいませ。 --> Is is strange while 敬語 is used when you use to your senior or someone you look up to, and you still try to use 命令.

仰る ⇒ 尊敬語

a, おっしゃらない。(sounds strange, but we use. ) rather 仰せにならない。

b, おっしゃいます。 ( ditto ( hereunder, d))  仰せになります。

c, おっしゃる  ( d ) 仰せになる

d, おっしゃる時 ( d ) 仰せの時

e, おっしゃれば ( d ) 仰せになれば

f, おっしゃい。 ( f ) 仰せになって頂けますか。

下さる ⇒ 謙譲語 ( quite naive way of saying )

a, 下さらない

b, 下さいます

c, 下さる

d, 下さる時

e, 下されば

f, 下さい。(下され)( d ) 下さいますか。

なさる ⇒ 尊敬語

a, なさらない

b, なさいます

c, なさる

d, なさる時

e, なされば

f,? なされ、なさい.... ( d ) なさって頂けますか。

When you use polite way of saying to someone you look up to or someone who you first meet, does it sound a bit strange to use 命令形, because I am using these without paying much attention, afer surfing through multiple sites, I ended up if you wan to use 命令形, you need to add further polite way of saying as I wrote after ditto.

share|improve this answer
すでにご存じかもしれませんが、質問は上記の動詞の使い方についてではなく、その使い方が分かって「正確に言うと普通の五段活用ではないですね」という思いを伝えようとし‌​ていると思っています。同じように連用形がいつもとは違う動詞が全部敬語であることが偶然であるはずがないという考えを念頭に置いて質問したでしょう。私は全く分かりません‌​が、とものさんはなぜこの動詞だけが連用形が「り」ではなく「い」だという点について何かお考えをお持ちでしょうか。 – Darius Jahandarie Jan 31 at 20:52
ダリウス氏,正直私にも難しすぎて解らないです。ただ日本人としての「経験則」としていらっしゃいますは,可能ですが「御出でになります」がより頻繁に使われるかと,さら‌​にいらっしゃります,も言う人がいます。ですから五段(四段?)活用の域から別に外れていないのではないかと思いますが…ソースが出せないのが残念です。気長に探しますが、‌​何せ憲法の序文の助詞にさえ文学者からケチつけられる言語ですから…… – Kentaro Tomono Jan 31 at 22:56
というよりいらっしゃいます。という発音自体が言いにくいという点もあるかもしれません。最もいらっしゃいます、と言う人もいますが。何せ日本人自体まともに「正確な」日‌​本語を話していないので、余りパターン化して覚えようとされない方が宜しいかと。 – Kentaro Tomono Jan 31 at 22:59
それと命令形ですが,やはり尊敬語の命令形という事自体がおかしくてソースを御覧下されば御解りのように‌​言い方が異なってきます。 – Kentaro Tomono Jan 31 at 23:14

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.