Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

These verbs:

Are all listed as 五段 verbs, but they don't follow the usual conjugation rules for them.
For example:

• 命令形: いらっしゃる -> いらっしゃい, not いらっしゃれ
  • 連用形: Same as above, not いらっしゃり

Is there a separate name/classification for these types of verbs? Such as カ変 for 来る and サ変 for する.

share|improve this question
And ござる, today in the form ございます. –  snailboat Jun 9 at 8:08

It also bears noting that expected regular forms such as いらっしゃります or くださります did exist. C.f. 「一升ざけを 下さります 」 from the Tōkaidōchū Hizakurige‌​, written in the early 1800s, or 「どなたもよふ いらっしゃりました 。きつひ御見かぎりで ござります 」 from the Kakutsū Yūshi by Utagawa Kunimasa, published in 1797. I suspect the modern forms arose as a kind of contraction or erosion common in oft-used words, such that the interstitial /-r-/ dropped out of the stem forms for the 連用形 and the 命令形. –  Eiríkr Útlendi Jun 9 at 18:18
My guess is that these are remnants of western dialect in the standard language from when the power shifted from West to East, similar to ありがとう,おはよう,ようこそ etc. instead of ありがたく,おはやく,よくこそ. But others probably know the details better than I do. –  dainichi Jun 10 at 1:33
I haven't found an explanation for why /r/ is elided only in those five verbs and only in certain constructions (e.g. with ます). Martin 1975 does note that the /r/ is retained in certain other constructions (see p.347). –  snailboat Jun 10 at 2:58

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.