Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can "みたい" mean "want to see", or does it always mean "looks like"/"seems like"? If not, how would "want to see" be expressed?

Specifically, assuming it has both uses, it would seem ambiguous to me here: なんだか違う映画みたいだなあ

Would that be "I want to see a somewhat different movie", or "That seems like a somewhat different movie"?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 14 down vote accepted

"That seems like a somewhat different movie" would be

なんだか違う映画みたいだなあ

Whereas "I want to see a different movie" would be

なんだか違う映画をみたいなあ

So to answer your question directly, yes, "を見たい" means "want to see" -- and you'd use the kanji "見たい", in most general cases. (There's no だ after みたい in this case.)

When you want to say "is like", you'd say "みたい" without a particle in front, and without kanji.

Though "見たい" is the most general kanji for "want to see/look", you can use more specific ones:

"診たい" -- want to examine, as in examine a patient.

"観たい" -- want to watch, as in sightseeing or watching a movie.

"看たい" -- want to look after, as in looking after a patient, from 看病 (かんびょう) -- not too common.

share|improve this answer

【視る】を忘れないように... –  istrasci Jul 3 '11 at 22:50
one trick is that typically verb-like grammatical structures in japanese are written in hiragana. –  Mark Hosang Jul 4 '11 at 0:55

@Mark Hmm... really? 死ぬ、出る、現れる、倒れる... Bigger words are more often hiragana especially these days, but that doesn't seem to be limited to verbs or verb-like structures. –  Rei Miyasaka Jul 4 '11 at 1:37
Yes, I think that usage dictates that normal verbs are in kanji, while auxiliaries have to be in hiragana. So, "違う映画みたい" and "違う映画を観たい". Same goes for "〜てくる"、"〜ていく", "〜ておく"… –  Axioplase Jul 4 '11 at 2:27
@h4xnoodle みたい as in みたいだ is not a noun. If anything it's a な-adjective. –  ジョン Apr 14 '12 at 11:41
show 5 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.