Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

WWWJDIC says すっと means "quickly / all of a sudden" yet it can also mean "quietly / gently / softly"

So basically I was wondering how do we tell if すっと means "quickly / all of a sudden" or "quietly / gently / softly"?

E.g. in this sentence: カタツムリがすっと角を出した。

Does it mean:

1) Gently, the snail shot out its horns.

2) All of a sudden, the snail shot out its horns.

3) both 1) and 2) ?

share|improve this question

try to click on the [Ex] link in WWWJDIC. That example is there with a translation. (maybe a better question is "when does "すっと" mean quietly/gently/softly) –  repecmps Jul 3 '11 at 5:48

the translation provided was "The snail shot out its horns.", but whether it was "gently" or "all of a sudden" was not written.. –  Pacerier Jul 3 '11 at 6:15

"shot" sounds like sudden to me –  repecmps Jul 3 '11 at 6:46
Keeping in mind we are talking about a snail... Suddenness is a relative matter. –  Dave Jul 3 '11 at 6:49

ok, so basically I was wondering generally how do we tell if すっと means "quickly / all of a sudden" or "quietly / gently / softly"? –  Pacerier Jul 3 '11 at 6:53

3 Answers 3

up vote 7 down vote accepted

My dictionary defines すっと with these four meanings:

1. 真っすぐ,ほっそりと (straight or slender)
  2. 素早く (quickly)
  3. 滞りなく (without delay/obstacle)
  4. 気分がさっぱりと (refreshed/neat/plain feelings)

So what do all these have in common? All of them vaguely mean smooth. I'd describe すっと as pretty much an onomatopoeia (though I don't think it's officially classified as such). In English you may say zzzzzzip.

すっと伸びた枝 - a branch growing out straight

"The branch grows out like zzzzzzzip." (smooth and straight)

すっと立って老人に席を譲った - He immediately stood up and gave his seat to the elderly

"He stood up like zzzzzzip." (in a flash, smoothly, without delay)

彼はすっと大学に入った - He was admitted to college straight out of high school

"He was admitted like zzzzzzzip." (smoothly, without delay)

よく寝たので頭がすっとした - As I had a good sleep, I feel refreshed.

"My head feels like zzzzzzzip." (fresh, clear)

For your case, I think neither quickly nor gently translate very well:

カタツムリがすっと角を出した。

"The snail extended her horns like zzzzzzzzzip."

In the case of a snail, that probably means both smooth and fast (as far as snails go). The horns just extended like すっと.

I hope this gives you more of a feel of how this is used. When used in speech, accompanied by a hand motion, it's pretty much self-explanatory. :)

share|improve this answer

this is pretty cool =D so basically.. it's supposed to be ambiguous? –  Pacerier Jul 3 '11 at 14:27
It's not supposed to be ambiguous, it's a word that has no clear translation, but that you usually understand in context. 気持ちだよ、気持ち! :-) –  deceze Jul 3 '11 at 22:36

Ok thanks for the info =D –  Pacerier Jul 4 '11 at 1:10

Deceze gave the most decent interpretation of すっと that I know of. On the other hand, the meaning "quietly / gently / softly" is more appropriately attributed to そっと. You can refer to Goo's Dictionary (Digital Daijisen) and Thesaurus (Ruigo Reikai Jiten) for usage examples.

Answer to your question is "3) both".

すっと is an onomatopea-derived adverb, and keep in mind that Japanese onomatopea has non-voiced vs. voiced pairs pretty much systematically. In general, there is a following contrast:

Non-voiced: quiet, gentle, soft, small, light, etc.
Voiced:     noisy, rough, hard, large, heavy, etc.

So, the voiced counterpart to すっと will be ずっと, which means a heavy large thing moved with sound. Other examples will be:

カリカリ scratching : ガリガリ scraping
トントン knocking   :  ドンドン banging
パーン firecracker bursting : バーン bomb bursting
etc.

heys cool that's something new ! –  Pacerier Jul 4 '11 at 1:23

never noticed that. 勉強になった –  dainichi Feb 5 '12 at 6:29

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.