Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I read this expression in a text. It seems to be an old proverb about monkeys. But I am not sure about its meaning. Why 筋, for instance? Does it means muscle? reasoning faculty? Why would they be lacking?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

It means: "Monkeys are less clever than humans" or literally: "Monkeys have 3 hair less than people"

足らぬ being used for 足りない

and 筋 being the counter for hair

To add a bit of history/legend:

毛 doesn't stand for "hair" but for apparel, appearance or skill...etc.

The legend states that during the creation of the world, Kamis (god(s)) thought human and monkeys were too similar and removed 3 details (毛) from them.

A monkey asked to "god" (kami) why they could not become human. God answered, because you lack the following 3 points (毛):

<見分け>物事の分別、理性が無い

<情け> 情愛、恋愛、思いやり、雅な心

<やりとげ>最後までやり抜くこと、成し遂げること

(reason, compassion and sense of accomplishment)

http://iwasironokuni.cocolog-nifty.com/komiti/2011/07/post-6d0c.html

share|improve this answer

Thanks a lot for the grammar and the context. –  ogerard Jul 2 '11 at 13:42
What “three hairs” means is unclear, and “God removed three hairs from monkeys” and “three け are 見分け・情け・やりとげ” are just some of the many explanations. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 2 '11 at 15:56

So... monkeys are less hairy than people? Whoever came up with this must have come from a very hairy ethnicity... ;-) –  Dave Jul 3 '11 at 2:03

@Tsuyoshi : glad to see that even natives are confused by this phrase :-) –  ogerard Jul 3 '11 at 10:03

@Dave: I take hair to be an image for something that does not weight a lot physically (the three psychological capacities quoted) or does not change the looks of your head, or distinguish you at first sight. –  ogerard Jul 3 '11 at 10:07
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.