Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does anyone know any online Japanese dictionary which provides audio reading?

share|improve this question
I voted to close because this is really barely related to the Japanese language itself, and is answered easily by a Google search for "japanese dictionary". –  rintaun Jul 2 '11 at 5:19
Usually when one wants to close a question he doesn't answer it :) and a link to meta is good also: meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/160/… –  repecmps Jul 2 '11 at 8:04
OK. I had to scour meta to try and figure where we currently stand on "what are good resources/dictionary" questions, and the consensus is still pretty muddled, so I won't force an immediate close (but feel free to vote for a close if you feel that way)... But I think it should at least be made a Community Wiki. Updating accordingly. –  Dave Jul 2 '11 at 16:24

Why? Pronunciation of a single word by some software isn't going to be much helpful to have a nice intonation. And as Japanese basically reads as it's written, I quite doubt this would be useful… –  Axioplase Jul 4 '11 at 9:23
@Axioplase, "And as Japanese basically reads as it's written". Sure, much more so than English. But Japanese orthography doesn't tell you about pitch. Nor does it tell you about devoiced vowels. Nor does it tell you if a given instance of う is pronounced /u/ or /o/. I can see lots of good reason to have such a dictionary. –  dainichi Jan 20 at 5:13
show 3 more comments

7 Answers

Pretty much every online Japanese dictionary that I know of provides reading, unless you mean something out of the ordinary by "reading." Take the following entry from WWWJDIC for reference:

結論 【けつろん】 (n,vs,adj-no) conclusion; (P)

Edit: WWWJDIC also contains audio examples for many common words, as Lukman points out in his answer.

share|improve this answer
I mean pronunciations, the sound. –  Steven Jul 2 '11 at 13:00
add comment

I've yet to see a dictionary that didn't provide the reading. Plus, if you did manage to find one, you could just install RikaiChan or RikaiKun (depending on your browser) and it would give you the reading.

For what it’s worth, English-Japanese dictionaries for Japanese speakers (who speak English as a foreign language) usually do not provide readings of words in Japanese. :) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 4 '11 at 13:03
add comment

UmaiKanji has an audio library. It doesn't have anywhere near as many words as a dictionary, so don't expect to get a result for every word you look up. It's not a dictionary actually, but with Rikaikun/chan its useful.

I've seen dictionaries on the iPhone that use software to synthesize the readings.

Apple and Microsoft do this decently (for words more than sentences), in English at least. So, desktop software in combination with the OS's text-to-speech, or some dictionary that can take advantage of their frameworks is a possible lead for you.

add comment

I use http://nihongoresources.com which includes a lot grammar and pronunciation as well as a dictionary.

Also, I use google.com/translate and you can then listen to the reading. It is not very good quality, however. It is best to learn the basics of the kana and their readings. –  h4xnoodle Jul 2 '11 at 16:01

Google Translate uses a very high quality (perhaps current state of the art) speech synthesizer. So while it's very good for a robot, it's not the same as actual recordings because it doesn't get everything right by any stretch. –  hippietrail Apr 8 at 7:46
add comment

It's strange that no one mentioned that WWWJDIC provides the audio clips for the reading for all the entries (rintaun only mentioned about the pronunciation hiragana).

In case anyone misses it (I didn't realize the blue button is a play sound button until later), here is where:

play sound button wwwjdic

“I didn't realize the blue button is a play sound button until later” I did not know that. Thanks! –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 21 '11 at 22:54
Regarding "audio clips for the reading for all the entries"... Many many entries do not have the audio clip icon, and some have the icon but the clip is not available e.g. csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/… –  Pacerier Dec 16 '13 at 15:14
add comment

I use Nihongo de Care-navi for Japanese pronunciation with audio. It is actually not a dictionary, but it is for nurses and doctors in Japan to learn English. It however contains a large enough vocabulary that most of the everyday Japanese words are included. It also includes variations of a same word.

http://eng.nihongodecarenavi.jp/jpn/search-list.php?cmd=search&q=%E8%A8%AA%E5%95%8F

add comment

I run Jlearn which is a fairly comprehensive Online Japanese dictionary and has audio for all words and readings for kanji.

http://jlearn.net

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.