Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The word 【くら】 can be written with any of the kanji 蔵, 倉, or 庫. However, WWWJDIC lists them all under one entry, defined as:

(n) warehouse; cellar; magazine; granary; godown; depository; treasury; elevator;

Is there a difference in nuance or usage between these three kanji, and if so, what?

Update: @istrasci points out that:

[When] 蔵 is used as【〜ぞう】in compounds, it's used to denote ownership or possession.

Whereas compounds with 庫 seem to refer more to a physical storage facility.

Does anybody know about different nuances of the word 【くら】 itself?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 15 down vote accepted

Here's what a person who's been immersed in the Japanese culture for 22 years imagine when she sees them without much context.

picture of 蔵

• Where it can be found: In the estate of an old family, or as a cellar of a sake brewery. Usually in a place crowded with other buildings (hence the backside of the kura is blurred in the picture).
  • What's inside: Something valuable, treasures, or simply old and unused things for special occassions.
  • Height: 2-3 stories.

picture of 倉

• Where: In the rural districts.
  • What's inside: Farming tools, stored rice and unused things (of everyday use).
  • Height: 1-2 stories.

picture of 庫

Note: I didn't know 庫 can be read as くら. These are the impressions I have about the kanji itself.

• Where: In a house or any other building, or as a part of one.
  • What's inside: Something valuable, or other trinkets. Usually contains a single type of things.
  • Height: Can vary in size. Usually box-shaped and smaller than 倉.
share|improve this answer

Thanks! Great answer. –  rintaun Jul 12 '11 at 22:16

Did you draw all by yourself? Neat! It's not plain MS-Paint. –  syockit Aug 25 '11 at 6:16

I see you got some inspiration from Google image search ;) –  ssb Jun 25 at 15:34

新選漢和辞典第六版付録同訓異義要覧八七頁

【くら】

〔倉〕

米【こめ】ぐら。穀物【こくもつ】ぐら。

〔蔵〕

大切【たいせつ】なものをしまっておく所【ところ】。

〔庫〕

武器【ぶき】や車【くるま】をおさめる所【ところ】。

〔府〕

金【かね】や品物【しなもの】をしまう所【ところ】。

〔廩〕

米【こめ】ぐら。屋根【やね】のあるくら。

I still think it should be called 同義異訓要覧.

As far as using them strictly for the word 【くら】, I'm not sure of any nuances. But when 蔵 is used as【〜ぞう】in compounds, it's used to denote ownership or possession.

私蔵 【しぞう】 → Private collection
家蔵 【かぞう】 → Household collections
所蔵 【しょぞう】→ To have in your possession (== 所有)
蔵書 【ぞうしょ】→ Collection of books / a library

Whereas compounds with 庫 seem to refer more to a physical storage facility.

車庫 【しゃこ】 → Garage
金庫 【きんこ/かねぐら】 → Vault/treasury
武器庫【ぶきこ】 → Armory

Still the meanings seem to overlap even in a lot of compound words.

Very interesting. I hadn't noticed the compound-based meanings... but you're right, it's not entirely straight-forward with compounds, especially with words like 冷蔵庫【れいぞうこ】. –  rintaun Jul 1 '11 at 1:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.