Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Both mean "lonely" and appear to be valid readings for 寂しい.

Is there a difference in nuance? Is this difference due to dialect?

share|improve this question

There's a little explanation on this answer japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/397/difference-between-and/… –  nevan king Jun 29 '11 at 19:12
add comment

1 Answer

According to an answer to a similar question on Goo's oshiete site:

「さびしい」 is generally used in two ways (roughly equivalent to how the english "lonely" is used):

1. an emotional state of emptiness, isolation, or a feeling of lacking
    • Examples: 「さびしい正月を迎える」「ふところがさびしい」
  2. quiet and empty of people or sounds
    • Example: 「さびしい山道」

These two meanings are essentially subjective and objective, respectively, and さびしい can be used in either. さみしい, however, generally tends much more toward the subjective/emotional meaning of (1).

As for whether it is dialectal, I do not believe that it is. The answer to the question linked above suggests that this b→m sound change is not limited to さびしい/さみしい alone, and cites other examples such as 煙る(けむる/けぶる)and [目を]つぶる/つむる.

Update: Inspired by @Axioplase's comment below, I investigated the b/m sound change, specifically regarding 「寒い」.

Wiktionary suggests that in fact, the origin of さむい is the same as さびしい: さぶし. At some point this split into さびし (which later became さびしい and subsequently さみしい), while さぶし also went on to form さぶい -- and subsequently, the modern さむい which we use today.

Unfortunately, I can't find many other (reputable) sources for the etymology of さむい.

share|improve this answer

+1 for the sound change comment - that's exactly what this is. –  makdad Jun 29 '11 at 22:45

I think it's not only m->b, but m<->b. In a similar fashion, you also have 寒い【さぶい】. If I remember correctly, these changes are more frequent in the Kansai area than in the Kantô. –  Axioplase Jun 30 '11 at 1:54

@Axioplase: Actually (and I can't find any sources to support or deny this), I would hypothesize that the "b" is the older sound, even with 寒い -- Kansai dialect seems (at least to me) to tend more toward archaic forms, after all, and a one way sound change seems more likely than both. –  rintaun Jun 30 '11 at 2:41

I also think that it's a "b->m" evolution, but don't have time to verify that. –  Axioplase Jun 30 '11 at 5:26
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.