Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a question about the meanings and usage of いいように. I thought that it only has one meaning, which is "to act as one wills, to do something as one wills". Like in the example below.

彼らは、いいように[操]{あやつ}られている。

They are being led by the nose.

At least before I saw the dialogue below, specifically this sentence - あくまでもいいように[捉]{とら}えればと言うことだが。. I was told that here いいように has the meaning same as よい方. And as far as I can understand, translation would sound something like "But only if I take it from the positive side." or "But only positively speaking.". Unfortunately I couldn't find this meaning/translation in dictionaries. So, could you please explain me the this expression.

鈴:「じゃ、それで何か楽しいことしないと損じゃない?」

私:「[損得勘定]{そん・とく・かん・じょう}の問題でもないように思いますけどね、これは」

鈴:「なにさ、[相変]{あい・か}わらず細かいなー君は」

鈴さんが[鷹揚]{おう・よう}過ぎるのだと思う。あくまでもいいように捉えればと言うことだが。

share|improve this question
捉える=とらえる here, not つかまえる –  naruto Jun 6 at 22:34

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

You are discussing two meanings of 「いいように」 here:

1. At X's will; In whatever way that's convenient to X; As X likes

2. (quite literally) In a good manner; In a positive way; Rightly; Nicely

The first いいように is an idiom, usually used with certain verbs such as 「扱う」「利用する」「あしらう」. It's not interchangeable with 「よい方に」 or 「よく」. Very often this いいように implies this person X is evil. That's why it's in dictionaries. (If it's you who asks to treat yourself freely, then there is no evil sense: 「私のことはいいように使ってください。 」 = "Please use me as you like.")

The second meaning is quite literal, and that's why you couldn't find it in dictionaries. 「いいように捉【とら】える」 is literally translated as "catch (it) in a good way", and you really have いいように translated this 「いいように」.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.