Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There are a lot of post that describe the ambiguous scenarios when to use で vs に, but there are still many scenarios that are confusing, and sometimes I'm not sure if I should be using a particle at all.

Here are a list of simple questions where the usage of particles is uncertain.

1.春(に|で|NONE)たくさん雨が降る。

2.春(に|で|NONE)雨だ。(Any verb influence?)

3.雨の日(に|で|NONE)きれいだ。

4.今月の三十一日(に|で|NONE)日本に行く。

5.休み(に|で)日本に行く。

6.一時間(に|で|NONE)食べた。

7.日本語(で|を)おねがいします。(A different question, but I was still curious.)

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I'm not good at explaining grammar but I think I can at least tell you which particles I would use if I were to say your sentences:

1.春にはorはたくさん雨が降る。

... which is like "In spring/As for spring, we have a lot of rain," since neither 春に~~ or 春で~~ sounds natural here, although you would use に when you say:

京都では、春たくさん雨が降る。In Kyoto, it rains a lot in spring.
たくさん雨が降るのは、~~~だからだ。It is because ~~~ that it rains a lot in spring.
たくさん雨が降ると、夏は~~~。When it rains a lot in spring, ~~~ in summer.
(The に is often left out in daily conversation.)

2.[春雨]{はるさめ}だ。

... which means "It's spring rain", since none of 春に雨だ, 春で雨だ, or [春雨]{はるあめ}だ sounds right to me.

3.雨の日きれいだ。

... which means "Rainy days are beautiful." or "(Something) is beautiful on rainy days." Neither 雨の日にきれいだ。 or 雨の日できれいだ。 sounds right. You could use 雨の日に in:

事故は、雨の日起こりやすい。Accidents are more likely to occur on rainy days.
雨の日学校に行くのは、いやだ。I don't want to go to school on a rainy day.

4.今月の三十一日日本に行く。

Basically you can use に for a specific point in time, eg: in/on/at + year/month/day/time etc. → ~年/月/日/時. (In daily conversation you'd often leave out the に, as in 今月の31日、日本に行く。)

5.休み日本に行く。

in/during + break; on + holiday etc. → 休み

6.一時間食べた。

in/within + period of time → ~~で. eg:

2週間ひらがなを[覚]{おぼ}えた。I learned hiragana in two weeks.
1年100万円[貯]{た}めた。I saved ¥1,000,000 in one year.

7.日本語おねがいします。

... which is like "In Japanese, please." You'd use を when asking for / ordering something, like コーヒーふたつ、おねがいします。/ Two coffee, please. (The を can be left out in conversation, as in コーヒーふたつ、おねがいします。)

share|improve this answer

So based on #6, A. 一時間 食べた。 = I ate for one hour. B. 一時間で 食べた。 = I ate in one hour. C. 一時間に 二つ食べた。 = I ate 2 in one hour. I guess I was confused because B & C are so similar. I read this sentence in my book. Is it correct? D. 私は一時間に出発する。 –  akami Jun 5 at 0:51

I also want also clarify the meaning of B. 一時間で食べた。= I ate in one hour. = I waited for exactly one hour, and then I ate. –  akami Jun 5 at 5:38
@akami For A, I think 1時間食べた is okay and understandable (or you might say it as 1時間食べ続けた(I kept eating for one hour) to be clearer). I think 1時間に2つ食べた and 1時間で2つ食べた are both okay for "I ate 2 in one hour". (Maybe 1時間に modifies 2つ adjectivally (like "2 per hour"), and 1時間で modifies 食べた adverbially (like "I ate lunch in one hour", cos you don't say *1時間に夕食を食べた。but 1時間で夕食を食べた。). D. 私は一時間に出発する sounds incorrect; I think you'd say it as 私は1時間で出発する(I'm leaving in one hour) or 私は1時間[後]{ご}に出発する(I'll leave after one hour). –  Choko Jun 5 at 8:06
When you say 1時間で食べた, you usually don't mean "I waited for one hour and then I ate". It'd normally mean that it took you less than one hour to finish the meal. –  Choko Jun 5 at 8:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.