Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Everywhere I look, they both just seem to be defined as "special" or "particularly/especially" (in the adverbial case).

I'm trying to form a distinction in my head.

Here's an example from my dictionary for 特別:

今日は 特別に あつらえた服を着ます (Today I'll wear specially-ordered clothes)

Why can't it be

今日は 特に あつらえた服を着ます

Or another case (from JED):

今朝は 特に 寒い (today it's especially cold)

Maybe someone can provide examples for me where they can't be interchanged - or examples that emphasize the difference. I would be greatly appreciative.

share|improve this question
I think 特に is mainly used in declarative sentences to show the speaker's attitude. You can replace it with a separate sentence like "That's unusual/uncommon". 特別に is just the manner of action. –  Yang Muye Jun 1 at 10:51

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think you have hidden an answer in plain sight.

The example sentences you give translate 特別に as "specially" and 特に as "especially". As far as I can tell, this is exactly how you would use them in English and Japanese.

"specially" means something like "in a distinguished manner, for a particular purpose".

"especially" means something like "outstanding, noteworthy, exceptional".

share|improve this answer
Hahahaha Thanks. Yes after consulting a Japanese friend, she explained that 特別に is more specific/exceptional. Which, I guess, makes sense given the 別 kanji. 特別 is like this one as opposed to all the others. where as 特 is just an emphasis, but is not necessarily exclusive. –  rewolf Jun 1 at 13:36

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.