Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there anymore to the usage of なんか that isn't saying "something", but rather something like, or along the lines of? I know the two are very similar, but using なんか at the end of a sentence seems to be very clear syntactically, while using it to modify a noun seems weird, especially given the か at the end- further kanji isn't generally used, I don't think. So is there more to it? Is there a more formal way of saying it that would make sense syntactically?

share|improve this question
Compare など and なんて. –  snailboat May 31 at 11:38

The comparison just makes me more confused, where do those come from? –  Anthony May 31 at 21:05

Could you give an example or two so we can make sure which なんか you're talking about? –  snailboat Jun 3 at 9:32

I forget what exactly my friend said- it was なんか followed by a noun. She was trying to say "Something like a-". There is more than one なんか? –  Anthony Jun 3 at 18:29

1 Answer 1

It can be used in front of adjectives to convey the sense of "somewhat" (e.g. なんか強い = "somewhat strong"). Is that close to what you're getting at?

share|improve this answer
I know the use- I just don't know where it come from. I suppose the syntax label might have been misleading... –  Anthony Jun 1 at 19:35

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.