Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend posted on a social network a picture of his Subaru car's bumper after an minor accident, and got this comment:

大丈夫!バンパー外すよりまし!笑

I guess it means "No problem! Removing the bumper will make it look better! lol"

But what is the exact meaning of よりまし in this sentence?

It's in Kansai if that matters.

share|improve this question
Do you realize that よりまし should be parsed as より + まし? –  Earthliŋ May 30 at 1:53

@Earthliŋ: I did not realize that sorry :-/ –  Nicolas Raoul May 30 at 4:46

2 Answers 2

Edit. (Thanks to naruto for pointing out the correct translation.)

大丈夫!バンパー外すよりまし!笑
No problem! Better than missing the bumper! lol

よりまし is より ("than") + まし ("better"). I don't quite know why, but you seem to get the opposite meaning.

share|improve this answer
多分ですが、この「外す」は「取り外す(remove)」ではなくて「命中しない(fail to hit)」の意味じゃないですかね。「バンパーに当たらない(バンパー以外の場所に当たってしまう)よりまし」と解釈するのが自然だと思います。 –  naruto May 30 at 4:24

@naruto そうかもしれませんね。この回答の解釈はバンパーを外したとしたら、他のパーツにも当たらないようなところで傷していない限り、解釈になりそうもないですね。naruto‌​さんの回答をundeleteしてください。 –  Earthliŋ May 30 at 4:55

いや、"外す"の解釈はoff-topicですので、こちらの回答が適切だと思います。ありがとうございます。 –  naruto May 30 at 5:03
@naruto I will incorporate your comments into my answer, but please don't hesitate to post alternative answers, especially if they are more accurate than existing answers. –  Earthliŋ May 30 at 5:08
Sorry, but I'm starting to feel "(In terms of safety or appearance, driving this car with the damaged bumper is) better than without the bumper." is also possible interpretation. Although driving a bumper-less car is illegal and a strange idea, I can't deny some car geeks think that way... –  naruto May 31 at 0:46
外す            より             マシ
take off    rather than         better

Depending on the context (i.e. previous comments), I'd guess the meaning is

"It still looks better than without the bumper"

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.