Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am writing an email to my friends, about a trip. We went walking by a field and the cows came over and were happy to be petted. I want to say "the cows were happy and friendly" but the word I have in my notes is 親しい which seems to be for a close friend, and the word "intimate" is used. The cows were not that friendly ;-)

Seriously, is there another word I can use? Like the equivalent of "good-natured" perhaps?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

I guess you could use the word 人{ひと}なつこい。 You can use it when referring to a friendly dog (towards people) so I guess it could be applied to cows too.

share|improve this answer

I'm not sure which spelling is more commonly used: 人なつこい or 人懐こい. Please correct the answer if I used the wrong one. –  Szymon May 28 at 12:40

I used the second one as that is what Windows resolved it to when I hit the space bar. –  VictorySaber May 28 at 12:41
Also with the /k/ geminated: 人なつっこい –  snailboat May 28 at 12:50
@Szymon Perfect answer ^^ As for 人なつこい / 人懐こい, I think both are commonly used. –  Choko May 29 at 16:09
人なつっこい / 人懐っこい is good, too, and I think we use it more when talking. I think all (= 人なつこい, 人懐こい, 人なつっこい, 人懐っこい) are fine in writing. –  Choko May 29 at 16:16

I realize there is already an accepted answer-- but I thought I would mention my personal experience with this.

In March I went to a language school in Tokyo for the month and tried something very similar to you while trying to describe my cat who is very "friendly." I was told by my teacher that 親しい only applies to humans, and for animals one should use フレンドリー which is functionally a 形容動詞 (Na-Adj).

◯ 彼女は親しい友達です。

× 私の猫は親しいです。
◯ 私の猫はフレンドリーです。

While this is a loan word, which I hate using, I believe it is in common use, as it was told to me by a native Japanese person.

share|improve this answer
Interesting. My old Japanese teacher, who I emailed with this expression, was happy enough with it, but I do see フレンドリー used in examples. Thank you for adding your experience. –  VictorySaber May 29 at 15:36
If you think that you can add some useful information, go for it and add an answer, even if there's an accepted answer already. –  Szymon May 30 at 1:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.