Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I need some help with translating my Legend of Zelda guidebook.

ダンジョンアイテムを探せ!Search for dungeon items!

ダンジョンでの目的はもちろんボスを倒すことだが、ものには順序というものがある。

まずはマップとコンパスを手に入れたい。

I'm a bit stuck with the second line. Something like "In a dungeon the objective is of course beating the boss, but [finding] things there really is an order"

Yeah... a bit stuck as you can see! I assume ものには is hiding a verb, but even then I am unsure of the sentence.

Typically in the Zelda games you have to find a specific item before you can get to other chambers and then fight the boss. So it must be referring to that.

share|improve this question
参考までに ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/… –  Choko May 28 at 8:43

Another example is 「ものには限度がある」 (there are always limits to everything), which is often used by someone who is about to lose his patience. –  naruto May 28 at 9:21
One of my dictionaries paraphrases it 「どんなものにも正しい順序がある」 There is a proper order for everything. –  snailboat May 28 at 10:49

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

This "ものには" means "Things".

"All things have order." or "All things are set in the sequence."

In this case, translation might be

Of course, the target task in the dungeon is defeating the Boss but you should do something before do it.

And I'd like you to post the next phrase, I guess there is a clue in it.

share|improve this answer
I've added the next line. It says first of all you will want to get the map and compass. So you are correct! –  VictorySaber May 28 at 9:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.