Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Good Day!

I currently need some help. I am translating some Japanese Documents to English. I came across this text: 66歳に到達した日以降に最初に訪れる3月末まで

So far I have: Until the end of March...on or after the day of turning 66 years old

How should one translate this text: 最初に訪れる, in order for it to fit the given text?

I have read about 訪れる here https://ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%81%8A%E3%81%A8%E3%81%9A%E3%82%8C%E3%82%8B#.E5.8B.95.E8.A9.9E

Until the end of the coming March? then how about the 最初に

Until the end of the first incoming March?

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

I think it's the second sense for 訪れる in Wiktionary:

季節・状況などがやってくる。

Other dictionaries give similar definitions. Here's the relevant sense from 広辞苑:

(ある時期・状況などが)やってくる。「春が訪れる」「世界に平和が訪れる日」

So 最初に訪れる3月末 would mean something like "the first March 31 that arrives", although arrive is a bit literal and we probably don't need to use it in translation, so your larger phrase would perhaps look something like this:

"by/until the first March 31 after [you] turn 66 years old"

I can't really make the translation more natural since you didn't supply much context, or even a complete sentence, but hopefully it gets the meaning across :-)

share|improve this answer

I see. Sorry for not providing more context but your translation more or less fits the document I am translating. どもありがとうございます。 –  roberto May 27 at 0:21

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.