Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am currently doing some exercises for my Japanese class, but they are all in hiragana, which is sometimes irritating, but in this sentence I fail to see the meaning and thus unable to pick the suitable answer, 3:

ゆうびんきょくに __ かえります。

Available answers are :

1) やんで 2) よんで 3) よって 4) やって

I thought ~による was used in a sense similar to "According to..." but I really don't see how this fits within the sentence.

Is this another usage of the above form ?

A different verb ? I really think it is more of a suite of actions, "Do something at the post office and come back". I really wish I had a kanji there to help me out... As a bonus, why do textbooks often contain no kanjis and only hiragana ? This seems more confusing that anything else to me.

Thanks !

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I think this よって comes from the verb 寄る{よる} which means "to visit, to drop by" in this case. Your sentence thus means:

ゆうびんきょくによってかえります。
I'll drop by the post office and come back.

~によると is used as "according to" (see よると or よれば? Which one is "according to"?).

~によって can mean "by way/method", "depending on", "because of" (see What´s the difference between による, により and によって?).

Neither of them can be applied to "post office" in this sentence though.

share|improve this answer

This seems great, thanks! I got confused from this ~によって and the related lesson. Moreover, my dictionary gave me "to approach" as first sense which seemed unrelated... –  Urukann May 26 at 7:25

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.