Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The complete phrase is: 「日本中で、ばえていくけん!」.

With the けん at the end, I thought it might have been something from a Kyushu dialect, but the person who said this is from Tottori.

The only part I'm really having trouble with is the verb 「ばえていく」. I tried looking up ばえる and ばう as potential verb roots, but they don't seem to exist. Has anyone every heard of this?

share|improve this question
辞書にありました--> 鳥取弁「ばえる」 –  Choko May 20 at 4:05

@Chocolate I challenge you to make an answer out of that before I steal it and do it myself ;) –  ssb May 20 at 4:22
@ssb いあいあいあそんな~おまかせします~ –  Choko May 20 at 4:30

@Chocolate Clearly, I need a new dictionary (^^ ありがとうございました。本当に助かりました! –  sayajay May 20 at 7:27
けん is also used in certain parts of 四国 and 中国 although I'm not sure exactly where. I'm not surprised if it's used Tottori. I would be great to have an isogloss map, but I haven't been able to find any. –  dainichi May 20 at 9:28

1 Answer 1

ばえる means 騒ぐ in 鳥取弁, the dialect of Tottori.

けん is mostly used in the 九州 area and some parts of 四国 and can mean a range of things. I am most familiar with から and some kinds of よ:

から

• 今日は寒いけん、コートを着た方がいいよ
  • 今日は寒いから、コートを着た方がいいよ

• お茶いれたけん
  • お茶いれた

Or

• いや、昨日めちゃめちゃ面白かったんだな〜
  • いや、昨日めちゃおもろかったけんな〜
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.