Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What word should I use in informal speech for connecting cause and effect just like から does in polite form?

share|improve this question
I hear から works pretty well when you're trying to capture the nuances of から –  ssb May 19 at 12:51
If you really want to be formal ため is more formal than から。 –  emodendroket May 19 at 13:20

I suppose んで is more colloquial in places where you could use ので but it isn't exactly a drop-in replacement. –  emodendroket May 19 at 13:21

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Use から. It's not only used in "polite" speech (it doesn't actually matter what you mean by that), but also in "informal" speech.

If から reminds you too much of K/J-Pop, you can sometimes replace this から by ので/んで e.g.

Xをするから => Xをするので

but you'll likely end up sounding more polite than when using から.

share|improve this answer
それから and それで are not really synonyms and they don't exactly mean "because" either. I'd say the former is more akin to "and then" and the latter more akin to "and so." –  emodendroket May 19 at 13:25
@emodendroket I was trying to say that many expressions using から (including the から meaning "because") can be replaced with expressions using で. I didn't claim that the result will always preserve meaning or nuance. In any case, my recommendation is to stick with から. –  Earthliŋ May 19 at 13:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.