Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I noticed this on few occasions. Unfortunately, I can't remember exact situations.

I want to clear if どうも in a role of 'hello' is a shortened version of some longer phrase or just a thing on it's own. When is it okay to use it? Does it have any hidden nuance?

Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question

Doumo, Yang-san! –  dimadesu May 19 at 18:59

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

In case you don't want to or can't read the article Yang linked to, it begins by quoting two senses listed in the [日本国語大辞典]{にほんこくごだいじてん} which I will reproduce here in Japanese and translation:

④感謝したり詫びたりする気持ちを含む挨拶(あいさつ)に用いる。内容も省略し、「どうもどうも」と重ねて用いることも多い。(以下、用例略。)

⑤あいまいな、または安易な挨拶のことばとして用いる(以下、用例略。)

And my translation:

(4) Used as a greeting that include feelings of gratitude and apology. Frequently, both the contents [for which one is grateful or apologizing] are omitted and the word is repeated as "dōmo dōmo" (following usage examples omitted). (5) Used as a greeting ambiguously or lightly.

share|improve this answer
So, basically, I can use it as 'hi' and to say sorry and there is no hidden meaning and nuance there, right? –  dimadesu May 19 at 15:00

@dimadesu not sure what you mean by hidden nuance, but picking the right greeting while straying away from おはようございます and こんにちは can get pretty complex pretty quickly. I think どうも could be a rather rude greeting in some social contexts. I seem to recall this being the standard greeting in dramas from unwanted stepchildren dropped off at the door. Normally, you'd probably want to throw on a 、よろしくお願いします afterwards to make it more respectable. –  virmaior May 19 at 15:31

Perfect! This is the 'hidden nuance' I was looking for. Thanks! –  dimadesu May 19 at 18:58
I guess the 「重ねて」here does not mean "overlap" but "repeatedly"? So it's actually saying "it's often used in the repeated form "domo domo" with the very contents omitted"? –  Noir May 20 at 4:35

@Noir it took me a little while to catch what you meant, but I think you are correct and have amended the wording. –  virmaior May 20 at 5:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.