Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I remember hearing this idiom which meant someone was so lowly, they were not even considered a person. I don't know the source, but remember it was referred to as a 'common Japanese idiom'.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it or its origin online. Is this not really an idiom? What is its source?

share|improve this question
There seems to be many tweets describing similar scenarios. Some are simply narrating what actually happened to and embarrassed them. Many others seem to be parodies of a tweet posted in 2012. I personally do not take it as a well-established idiom. –  Noir May 18 at 7:19

That might be the case. I'm pretty sure I saw it on TV. Might have been some Japanese drama. I distinctly remember someone being told that and later standing in front of automatic doors which did not open for him since he was such a pathetic person. –  Omer van Kloeten May 18 at 7:38
Some people say it but I would not call it an idiom. cache.yahoofs.jp/search/… –  l'électeur May 18 at 9:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.