Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know 方 can be used for constructions with verbs' ta forms, but can it also be use with things like nouns, adjectives, etc.? My understanding previously was that it was all the same word, but should you write "hou" differently, depending on whether you're using it for a verb or for something else?

そのほうがいい

その方がいい

行かなかった方がいい

share|improve this question
By 行かなかった方がいい, do you mean 行かない方がよかった? –  Earthliŋ May 17 at 18:56

Yeah. Forgot the negative has to be in present tense. –  Panzercrisis May 18 at 2:55
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Again, looking at the results from BCCWJ

5576 ほうがいい
 747 ほうが良い
1733 方がいい
4839 方が良い

方がいい is "correct", at least descriptively speaking, although the results also suggest that if you're going to write 方 in 漢字, you might as well write 良い with 漢字 as well.

As for the difference between 漢字 with the use of nouns and verbs, we can check for nouns

523 のほうがいい
 73 のほうが良い
551 の方がいい
203 の方が良い

for verbs

3754 たほうがいい
 502 たほうが良い
1181 た方がいい
3121 た方が良い

and for negated verbs (and negated i-adjectives)

722 ないほうがいい
 86 ないほうが良い
607 ない方がいい
188 ない方が良い

This looks like 方 is slightly more often written in 漢字 when accompanying a noun (この方 and その方 account for 51 results), and sightly more often written in かな, when accompanying a verb.

(And lastly, そのほう has 53, その方 45 results.)

share|improve this answer
The NHK漢字表記辞典 says 方 is fine, too. –  snailboat May 17 at 19:58
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.