Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

ファイナルがんばって!終わったらデートしてちょーなー

In that sentence. Is the person saying date me or just simply, "go on date"? And what does cho na mean? Thanks

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

This means:

Do your best in the final (match) ! After it finishes, please date with me."

I am a native Japanese speaker but I have never heard the expression ちょーなー. So I thought it's from a dialect and googled ちょーなー but I found nothing.

This word might be a combination of ちょー and なー, I think.

ちょー is an abbreviation of ちょうだい, in a informal way.

Example:

デートしてちょー。 (Date with me.)

On the other hand, なー can be used in similar cases.

Example:

デートしてなー。 (Date with me.)

Sentences that ends with なー is mostly spoken by people who live in western Japan.

share|improve this answer

Hi, deto shite doesn't mean "date" in general? It means "Date me"? I was wondering if deto shite could refer to dating another person. THank you. –  trent May 15 at 10:10
As you say, if デートして is literary translated in English, it just mean date with someone. But in most cases, [私]{わたし}と (with me) is hid before the beginning of デートして. As a result, if a girl/boy say デートして to its boy/girlfriend, it means Date with me. You won't ask your girl/boyfriend to "date with someone not me", will you? Thanks. –  Takumi Sueda May 15 at 11:12
Thanks. I think there was some context before this sentence that made me confused. Cuz they may have discussed a date with someone else beforehand, and I am not sure if she means a date with THAT OTHER person or with her. –  trent May 15 at 12:15
Since the speaker adds ちょーなー on the end (dialect for "please"), it's almost certainly "[with] me [the speaker]" -- unless the speaker and listener have some really unusual open relationship, "Do your best in the final! Once you're done, please go on a date with someone else!" sounds just super bizarre. Though, I suppose the speaker could be saying that s/he expects the listener to do badly, and is therefore off-handedly breaking up with the listener... but probably not. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 15 at 18:25

I grew up saying and hearing 「ちょーな」 said by others on a daily basis.

This is an expression from Nagoya dialect and 「~~してちょう(な)」 means the same thing as 「~~してほしい = "I want you to ~~"」 in Standard Japanese. The 「な」 is for emphasis and, therefore, is optional, and for extra emphasis, you can elongate the 「な」.

Thus, 「[終]{お}わったらデートしてちょーなー。」 means "When you're finished, I want you to go out with me!"

OP should have provided more context so I could explain 「ファイナルがんばって!」. If the speaker were talking to an idol, 「ファイナル」 would mean the final concert on a tour. We do say 「ファイナル」 for that.

If, however, people shorten ファイナルファンタジー to ファイナル, then that might be what it refers to. I do not play those games, so I am clueless on this.

share|improve this answer

I don't know how often it's used in Japanese, but it seems to me that it could also be ファイナル = 学期末試験 (final exam) –  rintaun Aug 26 at 9:57

It is so in America, I know. In Japan, I do not think I have ever heard it used to refer to a final exam. Maybe at ICU or Sophia, they might, I dunno. –  非回答者 Aug 26 at 10:22

Hmm, there are a few sources (here, here, and here) that says (し)てちょう is equivalent to (し)てください in standard Japanese. –  3 to 5 business days Aug 26 at 13:04

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.