Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to say, "Are you sure you want to start a new game?" (I'm developing a game for Japanese users, and this question is asked when it finishes.) I'm not sure whether スタート is the correct word to use in this context or whether there exists a Japanese word that should be used instead.

新規ゲームをスタートしてもよろしいですか。

share|improve this question

はじめ has a meaning which reads as'(n-adv,n-t) beginning, start, origin, (P)', so you could use that. But not in your current sentence structure (I believe). I can't see a huge problem with your use of スタート, it certainly makes grammatical sense to me, and I now that スタート can be used in speech to indicate the beginning of something. –  Jamie Taylor May 15 at 15:03

FWIW, that's the exact sentence I came up with in my head after just reading the title. –  istrasci May 16 at 14:56

1 Answer 1

スタート would certainly be understood in the context you've got.

Expanding a bit, if it's just an option on a starting splash screen (e.g. "1P Start", "2P Start"), you probably don't even really need to put it in Katakana.

If you're doing a game with a saved game feature, however, more often what I tend to see is the pair はじめから (from the beginning) and つづきから (continue from where you left off).

share|improve this answer
The OP's context, if I understand correctly, is that after the game is complete, they ask the player if they want to start a new game. They've supplied the sentence they've come up with for this context. –  snailboat May 16 at 3:46

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.