Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There appears to be some disagreement/confusion about the precise meaning of セレブ - some dictionaries claim that セレブ means the same thing as English "celebrity", while others claim that it just means "rich person".

デジタル大辞泉 basically says it means the same as "celebrity" - a famous person.

著名人。名士。セレブリティー。

語源由来辞典 suggests that while it can mean "famous person", it is also frequently used to refer to a "beautiful woman" or a "rich person".

セレブとは、名士。有名人。女性誌などでは、知名度に関係なく、美しく優雅で知的な女性を意味したり、お金持ちをさすことが多い。

The explanation on Japanese Wikipedia also says that セレブ implies things like "rich", "refined", and "posh" (albeit this section lacks sources).

日本のテレビや雑誌メディアはセレブと略し、金持ち、優雅な、高級な、などの意味合いで使用している。

Given that this word is a relatively recent import from English (late '90s, according to 語源由来辞典), I'm guessing that there's still some variation in the way it's used. In any case, what I would like to know is - how is セレブ typically used these days? Does it mean "celebrity", or does it mean "rich person", or can it mean both, or what?

share|improve this question
The gogen entry says a little bit more than that. It talks about how it originally referred to actresses and supermodels but now has a vague meaning associated with wealth and expensive accessories –  ssb May 15 at 7:13

1 Answer 1

セレブ has a lot of meanings/feelings. Rich person, person who wears expensive accessories, person who is just famous, etc.

For example, I called a friend セレブ when he bought an expensive watch:

Friend> "10[万円]{まんえん}の[腕時計]{うでどけい}[買]{か}ったんだ。" (I bought a watch that costs 100,000-yen.)

Me> "へえ、お[前]{まえ}セレブだなあ。" (Oh, you're セレブ, dude.)

The original English word "celebrity" means a famous person, you know, while it doesn't mean "rich people".

Why セレブ means "rich person" is, I think, because most of "celebrities" seen in television look so rich and wear expensive accessories. (e.g. Movie actors/actresses)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.