Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I read some of your post (very very helpful!) and I was wondering if you could write a post about the difference between よると and よれば. Which one is used to mean "according to"?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

Both ~によると and ~によれば can be used to mean "according to".

"A Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar" defines it as:

"According to", "based on". A compound particle that is used to identify the source of the information provided in the sentence.

As for the difference between the two, it states:

Ni yoreba can replace ni yoru to without changing the meaning of the sentence.

And gives examples of two sentences with the same meaning, e.g.

その温泉{おんせん}は旅行雑誌{りょこうざっし}によると神経痛{しんけいつう}にいいそうだ。
その温泉は旅行雑誌によれば神経痛にいいそうだ。
One of the travel magazines said (= According to one of the travel magazines) that hot springs are good for arthritis.

share|improve this answer

I've also heard 〜によりますと used by newscasters. –  istrasci May 14 at 14:41

@snailboat ... I'll delete my comment above. But you should note that nearly all of the papers are from 紀要 which means they're the lowest tier of academic writing in Japan (non peer-reviewed, right to publish if you are faculty or a graduate student at that school). –  virmaior May 14 at 23:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.