Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here is the sentence for context.

独立系の映画館はシネコンと違っていて、チケットが安いのですが、どこにでもあるわけではありません。

My translation - Independent cinemas are different from multiplex ones as they have cheaper tickets but not everywhere has one.

Its the last bit of my translation that I'm not sure about, I can't seem to figure out what this あるわけ is. I know ある is 'to have' whilst ではありません is a negative state but what is this わけ?

share|improve this question
If you're having problem with a particular word, stick it into the question title. Even if you don't know what it means, somebody else might and decide to post an answer. "What does this mean" doesn't have a lot of content, other than you want people to read your question... –  Earthliŋ May 13 at 18:56
Ok, I'll remember to be more specific in future questions, thanks. –  Mononoke May 13 at 19:00

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Your translation is close, but a little off. The pattern 〜わけ{では・じゃ}ない means "Does not (necessarily) mean that 〜". The ある here is for existence, not for possession. So it would translate as

• 独立系の映画館はシネコンと違っていて、チケットが安いのですが、どこにでもあるわけではありません。 → Independent theatres differ from big multiplexes; the tickets are cheap(er), but they are not (necessarily) found everywhere/all over.

I believe @Yakobu's translation is incorrect. To make a claim that "there is no way they are everywhere" seems too strong. 〜わけ{では・じゃ}ない means the may not be everywhere, although they could be and the speaker just doesn't know it. The point is that there is room for doubt. Here are some examples I've found.

• だからといってそれが間違っている訳ではない → "This doesn't mean (that) it is wrong" → It's inferred that it could be wrong.
  • と言ってもそれは君が間違っていないというわけではない → "However, that's not to say that you are right (not mistaken)" → It's inferred that you could be right (not mistaken).
share|improve this answer

わけ here is from the kanji 訳 which you may have seen for example in 申し訳ありません. It would literally be translated to "sense" I believe, but of course vary along this line with the context.

In your case, we have:

ある訳ではありません

You are right for the ある and ではありません parts, if they would be seperate. In general, you can see ある訳 as to "have sense", so something like ある訳ないんでしょう? would be "There is no way this/that is true/etc."

To answer your question, どこにでもあるわけではありません could be translated to "There is no way that they are everywhere" (hence there is no way you can find independent cinemas everywhere), and so to complete your translation:

"Independent cinemas are different from multiplex ones as they have cheaper tickets, but there is no way they are everywhere".

share|improve this answer
I think that わけ here is usually written in kana. I'm not sure about your "have sense" translation. I think the literal translation of 訳{わけ} is closer to "reason" (理由) but I don't think it should be taken literally in this construction. –  snailboat May 13 at 19:30
I think sense is a nice translation, but わけがない( no sense) is different from わけではない (not that sense) –  Yang Muye May 14 at 1:25
Oh, I think I know where his confusion came from; he confused あるわけではない(partial negation) with あるわけがない(total negation). –  Choko May 14 at 6:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.