Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I work at a big IT company in Japan. I'm currently working on a scalability project, that is a project to increase the capacity of a web application.

1) How do express "scalability" in Japanese to a non-IT person? If I say "スケーラビリティ" then pretty much no one except computer science people (an English speakers) know what I am talking about.

2) Related to that, how do I say something like "By the end of the year the traffic to our website will increase 500%". like what words should I use for "internet traffic" or "number of visitors" or "number of transactions".

share|improve this question
Can you show us what work you've done to solve this problem? We're not a translation service. –  virmaior May 13 at 0:48
It's worth noting that, even among English speakers, "scalability" often doesn't mean much except to computer science people. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 13 at 0:57
what kind of "work" do you want me to show? These terms do not exist in my dictionary. If I Google them I just get katakana words. –  icchanobot May 13 at 1:18

The Japanese Wikipedia article may be useful here. –  Igor Skochinsky May 13 at 1:27
Other useful E<>J resources are ALC at eow.alc.co.jp (just add the term to search at the end, in either EN or JA), and Weblio at ejje.weblio.jp/content (again, just add the term on the end). I note here that ALC's entries for "internet traffic" appear to be more useful than Weblio's, FWIW. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 13 at 17:11
show 5 more comments

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

For general purposes, if something is "scalable", we mean it can be expanded or extended usefully. Expansion or extension in this sense is 拡張 (kakuchō) in Japanese. So to say it's extendible, we would say it is 拡張可能 (kakuchō kanō). The quality of being extendible / scalable would be 拡張可能性 (kakuchō kanōsei), or possibly just 拡張性 (kakuchōsei).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.