I realized I didn't know the Japanese word for the concept which has three very interchangeable words: "kind", "sort", and "type".
By looking in my usual resources such as WWWJDIC, English Wiktionary, and Googling, I found three candidates for the Japanese word or words I should use for this:
Each has at least some other functions, just as each of the three English words do. But for this function are they equivalent, is one or the other not really this meaning, too rare or technical, etc, or have a missed altogether a better term for this job?
Here's some random uses I found via Google to illustrate the common sense I have in mind:
- not that kind of girl
- What kind of man are you?
- These aren't the sort of things you imagine happening to someone like you.
- The Bunker Diary is the sort of book you just want to talk about for ages.
- This book will tell you what type of work environment you need.
- The health care provider will choose the best type of insulin for you ...