Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the following sentence to translate.

父母や教師達は、もっとよく子どもの教育について、考えていただきたいものだ。

So far I have the following.

Parents and teachers "do something" better with children's education and they want the 
children to think. 

I am having trouble understanding which つく verb is being used.

And I also am not sure who has the desire in the sentence. I think it's the parents and teachers as they have the subject marker. But then the いただきたい is weird because of the honorifics. Did the subject of the sentence change?

share|improve this question

Did you realize that について is a fixed expression? –  Earthliŋ May 12 at 0:13

Nope, I didn't. I assumed it was the て form of a verb acting upon 教育 with the に –  Rachel G. May 12 at 0:14

4 Answers 4

について is a fixed expression meaning "regarding, concerning, ..." (here "about" also works) and derives from 就く or 付く, although it is usually written in かな.

share|improve this answer

Could you address how the honorifics comes into play as well? –  Rachel G. May 12 at 15:49

もらいたい・いただきたい's usage is waving these days. It originally takes dative に for the marker of the agent, but people have started to use nominative as well, as a result, the situation is being more or less confusing. i.e. 父母や教師達には…考えていただきたいものだ → 父母や教師達は…考えていただきたいものだ

From a grammatical point of view I think it could be rephrased as:

(私は、)父母や教師達は、もっとよく子どもの教育について、考えていただきたい{ものだ/と思う}。

-私は = I = the subject for 考えていただきたい
-父母や教師たちに = for parents and teachers = the subject for 考える
-もっとよく = more seriously <--- modifies 考える.
-子どもの教育について = about children's education <--- modifies 考える.
-考えていただきたい* = the humble form of 考えてもらいたい = (I) want (someone) to think. >> I want parents and teachers to think (more seriously about...).
-ものだ >> goo辞書#5-㋑ emphasis 

*いただく is the humble form ([謙譲語]{けんじょうご}) of もらう.

(This is supplementary to Chocolate's answer.)

If you put everything together then we get:

I would like parents and teachers to think much more about their childrens' education.

Note that:

• いただきたい makes the sentence from the viewpoint of the writer.

• Parents and teachers are the topic (marked by は): that is to say, the focus of the speaker/writers utterance.

• ものだ indicates the sincerity or importance the writer places on the statement.

Plus a typo in いただいた... Also, I think this is coursework/homework, so personally I prefer to leave explicit answers to the asker. –  Earthliŋ May 13 at 12:46

@Earthliŋ : 1) what is missing 2) Not sure I understand your preference, unless it is principle about plagiarism. I think the translation makes all the difference to the pupil's understanding. The OP is 27 so I assume she knows how to behave responsibly. –  Tim May 13 at 13:24

1) snailboat corrected your typos. 2) If she's been given a homework problem, then I just think that doing it 100% for her will be interfering with her course. –  Earthliŋ May 13 at 13:39

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.