Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a good was to look up whether a prefix is or for a word? I know there is the Chinese origin versus Japanese origin thing (mentioned here). But is there a way to look up for a certain word in particular? For example, 御忙しい and 御自分で. The dictionaries etc that I've looked at never seem to have it.

share|improve this question
The standard criterion works here: お忙しい and ご自分で. –  Zhen Lin May 11 at 18:39

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

I don't know of any dictionary or reference book, but since 御 is most often written as お or ご, as appropriate, you could check the Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese (BCCWJ, 少納言, http://www.kotonoha.gr.jp/shonagon) as the proper way of "doing Google counting".

For 忙しい and 自分 the numbers are

お忙しい 217 results
ご忙しい 0 results
お自分 8 results, all of which are in fact なお自分, i.e. unrelated to 御自分
ご自分 835 results

I guess you already know, but for the record, this confirms that it should be 御{お}忙しい and 御{ご}自分.

Just to show that this also works with words which don't follow the rule "お for native Japanese words, ご for Sino-Japanese words":

お電話 393 results
ご電話 0 results
お会計 30 results
ご会計 0 results

Another, quick and dirty way would be to check whether your IME already recognizes one or the other as a unit. (My IME knows お忙しい and ご自分, but suggests 語忙しい or 尾自分 and parses the latter ones as ご+忙しい and お+自分. Similarly for 電話 and 会計.)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.