Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the following sentence to translate.

日本語というものは、むずかしそうですが、
私は、大学の時に、母に漢字を書かせられたりしていたので
今、思うと、たくさん勉強しておいて、よかった思います。

So far I have the following.

The thing called the Japanese language seems difficult but
when I was in college I was forced by my mother to write kanji so
now if/when I think I study a lot in advance and think was well.

I am having an issue with 思うと and よかった思います. I don't know what that is doing with 思う if it doesn't mean if/when. And I thought 思います had to be proceeded with a . Is this not the case and maybe it just means "I think it was good"?.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

今思うと thinking back now, when I think back

When you see phrases like 思うと, 見ると, 振り返ると, 考えると etc., the following sentence is the content or result of the verb.

I think the と between よかった and 思います is necessary. There might be an error in your quote.

よかった is a kind of interjection. It is not just “good”, but “fortunate”. You are glad you have already studied it.

share|improve this answer

Sorry, but could you clarify "I think the と between よかった and 思います is necessary.". Are you saying the text Rachel G is quoting is in error, and there should be a following よかった? –  Questioner May 11 at 6:23
@DaveMG, Yes, I think it's an error. I've just checked BCCWJ, よかったと思 got found 398 results, よかった思 got 1 result. –  Yang Muye May 11 at 6:42

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.