Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the following passage to translate.

昔は、もっとたくさんの川や湖、植物、動物、虫など、多くの自然がのこっていたものだ。
しかし、このような自然も、千九百六十年ごろからの工業化によって、公害が問題となってきた。
例えば、森の木が切られ、たくさんの工場が建てられ、ゴルフ場が作られ、自然がはかいされてきた。
私達は、これからも日本の自然をどうやって守っていくか考えなければいけない。

Here is the bumbling way I translate it so far.

A long time ago, a lot more rivers and lakes etc, plants, animals, insects, and so on,
many natures were remaining. 

But, nature like this also from around 1960's industrialization ? pollution was
getting to be a problem.

For example, forest trees were cut, a lot of factories were built, golf courses were
used, and nature was getting to be destroyed.

Also because of this, we must think about if/how? we are going to protect ? Japanese
nature.

There are various things I do not understand in this passage.

• Sentence 1 - mostly I don't get 多くの自然が. Many nature? Much of nature? Nothing really seems to fit.
  • Sentence 2 - I just don't understand the whole flow of the sentence. I think not understanding によって is one issue. Because of perhaps? And the "nature like this" I don't get. Etc etc.
  • Sentence 3 - I feel pretty confident about this one.
  • Sentence 4 - I think my main issues are not seeing the function of やって and not understanding how the and どう are used together.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

I think 自然 sometimes means 川や湖、植物、動物、虫. I still remember a sentence in a famous article: 空気と水、それに土などという自然があって.

It's interesting that both sentences explain 自然 by themselves.

たくさんの川や湖、植物、動物、虫など(=)多くの自然
空気と水、それに土という(=)自然があって.

によって here means “because of” or “by means of”.

In the second sentence, 自然 doesn't look like a subject in English otherwise there will be two subjects (自然 and 公害). You may think there is something like “regarding” or “concerning” before it. You may also think 自然 modifies 問題.

The pollution is getting to be a problem of Japanese nature because of the industrialization since 1960s.

これからも means “in the future”, “from now on”.

どうやって means “how” “in what way”, “by what means”.

ていく means something like “to go on doing” “to do continuously” or “forever”.

か marks the end of an embedded question. The whole question (これからも日本の自然をどうやって守っていく) functions like a noun, which serves as the object of 考える.

We have to think about how to protect Japanese nature forever from now on.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.