Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As far as I am aware, すぐに means "immediately", but in which contexts can you use もうすぐ and すぐ? 

share|improve this question
What about いますぐ/今すぐ? –  hippietrail May 11 at 1:36

1 Answer 1

As an example, if I'm told this I might expect the fireworks to start...

すぐ花火が始まります-> 0 min - maybe 5 min
すぐに花火が始まります-> 0 min - maybe 5 min
もうすぐ花火が始まります-> maybe 5 min - maybe 20 min

i.e. もうすぐ isn't immediately, more like "very soon". As for すぐ vs すぐに I don't think there is a difference.

EDIT: The actual time these word indicate depends heavily on the context and listener. The times above came completely from my bottom.

For example if I'm told this, I might expect my scores to go up...:

すぐ学力が上がりますよ
     -> within 3 months? 
もうすぐ学力が上がりますよ
    -> it won't get better now, but will start to get better after 1 month?

But somebody else may have a completely different expectation.

share|improve this answer

So all of the above forms mean very very near future. Is there a way for "soon" as "in a few days to weeks"? –  miikaelf May 11 at 15:32

@miikaelf: Sorry I may have confused you. Hope the edit helps –  Enno Shioji May 11 at 16:08

@EnnoShioji 「学力」のほうの例で、「すぐ」が「もうすぐ」より長い(3ヶ月になってる)んですけど・・・もしかして「3週間」とかの書き間違いでは・・・ –  Choko May 11 at 16:13

@Chocolate: そこはわざとです。。並べて書くとなんとなくもうすぐの方が先な気がするけど、実際一方だけ言われた時にどれくらいの長さを想像するかはその時々で全然違う気がするんです‌​よね。「もうすぐ」って言うと、逆に「『今すぐ』には学力は上がり始めない」という意味があると思うので、そこが「すぐに」と一番明確に違うとこなのかなと。 –  Enno Shioji May 11 at 16:36

すぐ is an adjective, すぐに is an adverb. It's "Immediate" vs. "Immediately". –  KingPumpkin May 13 at 22:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.