Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

こうえんをさんぽします。

Why in this sentence do we use を and not で。

share|improve this question

@Ash That explains this use of を, but it doesn't really comment on whether で is acceptable. I think this is a new question and that an answer should discuss こうえんでさんぽします。. –  snailboat May 10 at 16:48
I asked a native speaker the same question when the following came up: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/15221/explain-how- I was told it was grammatically possible but not done. In does not sound natural. (Perhaps this could loosely be explained in Japanese as: You take walk around the park, not in/at it.) –  Tim May 11 at 0:57

The way i look at this sentence is the same as こうえんであそびます。 I thought I understood the use of を で に but then came this sentence it made me confused. I checked the link Ash and tim posted and how i can look at it as going through and leaving something behind however walking in the park doesn't mean am going through it (going from 1 gate and exiting from the other) i can look at it as doing an action in the park thats why am confused and i thought it would take で。 –  Ahmed Abdel Moneim Elket May 11 at 7:18
Both こうえんをさんぽ and こうえんでさんぽ are fine but 空で飛ぶ is nonsensical (because the sky is an only place to fly). –  user4092 May 11 at 16:08

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

[公園]{こうえん}で[散歩]{さんぽ}します。
公園を散歩します。

Both sound okay to me and I don't think there's much difference in meaning... just the former sounds a bit more colloquial to me, I would write を if I was told to fill in the blank in 「公園( )散歩します。」 in Japanese class, but I think I usually say "公園で散歩してたらblah blah..." or "公園散歩してたらblah blah・・・" (leaving out the を/で) in daily conversation.

Maybe 公園で散歩します is 公園で散歩します with its を dropped? You don't say 公園散歩します using を twice, so if you use 散歩します then you can add 公園で but not 公園を.

公園で[遊]{あそ}びます。
*公園を遊びます。

I think you cannot say 公園を遊ぶ because the verb 遊ぶ cannot take the particle を.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.