Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was doing my vocab training and added a few body parts.

Then I noticed that the word I had found in the English Wiktionary for "knuckle" seems to be untypable with my Windows Japanese IME.

This made me wonder if it's yet another case of learners "using too much kanji", etc. Is this a rare or unusual word, a word usually written in kana, or just a mistake in Wiktionary or of my own making?

share|improve this question
Are you sure it's not ゆびかんせつ? –  Zhen Lin May 10 at 10:35

@ZhenLin: If so then that's definitely means the answer is a mistake in Wiktionary. Click on - I made it a link. –  hippietrail May 10 at 10:38
Here en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%8C%87#Readings it says it's read ゆびかんせつ... –  Choko May 10 at 17:53

@Chocolate: Some entries of this kind are just copied and pasted from other parts of Wiktionary to add useful cross references, in the expectation that the place they're copying from has been checked, and that if not, spreading the mistake around will help it get noticed and fixed. In fact I do that myself on Wiktionary. This is one example of the many many ways in which Wiktionary potentially contains many potential mistakes. Potentially (-: Also the compound list entry you found could have been added before the main entry was changed ... –  hippietrail May 11 at 1:16
Oh, I am not sure whether or not ゆびかんせつ is the correct reading... –  Choko May 11 at 3:42

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think in daily conversation it would be [指]{ゆび}の関節. 指関節 will sound technical.

EDIT: I think both ゆびかんせつ and しかんせつ can be used, but I'm not 100% sure. As for 指の[節]{ふし}, this isn't technical and can be used in daily language but I think it's a bit more uncommon and sounds a tiny bit archaic.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.