Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What exactly does な particle mean when used with わけ?
Example (pulled from Google):

あいつが犯人なわけがないじゃないか.

I know exactly what this sentence means, but I'm just a little unsure on what the な is doing there? I couldn't find a suitable answer in my dictionary, the only thing I can thing of is it being another form of だ.

Thank you in advance.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

You're right, this is a form of だ. You're probably used to seeing な following na-adjectives. It can be considered the form of だ that appears before nouns:

キレイだ    ←  Here, だ ends a clause.
キレイな花   ←  Here, だ changes to な before the noun 花.

But when だ follows a regular noun, it typically doesn't take the な form. The main exception is when it comes before certain noun-like things including わけ and の:

リンゴだ   ←  Here, だ ends a clause.
リンゴなの  ←  Here, だ changes to な before the nominalizer の.

The same thing happens in your sentence:

あいつが犯人だ    ←  Here, だ ends a clause.
あいつが犯人なわけ  ←  Here, だ changes to な before the formal noun わけ.

It changes form to な.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for the answer, it's nice to have my thoughts on it being a form of だ confirmed. Just one point though, snailboat. You say that the な in na-adjectives is also a form of だ, but the textbook I used to use said that the な state of being and the な in na-adjectives have nothing to do with each other. Does that mean my text book was wrong? It is a very popular textbook too (called "Japanese the manga way") –  user4096 May 11 at 20:34

Historically they're the exact same だ, although you can treat them as separate things if you like as a matter of theory. –  snailboat May 11 at 20:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.