Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The context is you're casually telling a person where you've worked in the past.

I was thinking something like: IBMで働いた or IBMで仕事した.

But it didn't seem right. In English, the conversation would go something like:

A: Where did you used to work?

B: I've worked for IBM. And also, I've worked at Best Buy.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

〜で働いた is fine for literally "worked at". But I more often hear 〜に[勤]{つと}める meaning "employed for/by 〜"; usually in the 〜ている form ("am currently employed for/by 〜"). In this case, I think you'd just use the simple past tense.

IBMに勤めたことがある。そして、BestBuyにも。

Also, see this post about a unique employment situation: Employed by one institution but work for another.

share|improve this answer

Is there a difference between using で働いた or に働いた? Any nuances? And you could use で勤つとめる or would that be strange sounding? –  dotnetN00b May 8 at 17:06
"IBMで働いた", "IBMに勤めた", and "IBMで勤めた" are all correct, but "IBMに働いた" is wrong. (don't ask me why, please). –  naruto May 8 at 17:12
I've never heard 〜で勤める, and it sounds incorrect to my ear, but that's not to say it is. –  istrasci May 8 at 17:14

Googling gives many good examples of "~で勤める", though I agree it's less common than "~に勤める". –  naruto May 8 at 17:49

In casual conversation I think you can say:

A: (前は)どこ(orどこの会社)にいたの?/いたんですか。
B: ((ずっと)前(は))IBMにいた/いました。あと、BestBuyにもいた/いました/いたことがあります。etc.

... using the verb いる(居る), or

A: (前は)どこに(orどこの会社に/どこに仕事(に)/仕事(は)どこ(に))行ってたの?/行ってたんですか。
B: ((ずっと)前(は))IBMに行ってた/行ってました。あと、BestBuyにも行ってた/行ってました/行ってたことがあります。etc.

... using the verb 行く.
Of course you can say:

A: どこに勤めてたの?/勤めてたんですか。
B: IBMに勤めてた/勤めてました/勤めてたことがあります。etc.

A: どこで働いてたの?/働いてたんですか。
B: IBMで働いてた/働いてました/働いてたことがあります。etc.

... using 勤める/働く. I think using いる/行く would be more colloquial.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.