Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am translating a guidebook for a Legend of Zelda game, for study purposes. I'm finding a variety of new phrases and words, but this one has me stumped.

This is in the introduction to a section 冒険のヒント (Adventure Hints):

冒険の途中で困ったときに思い出してほしい。 At the time when you’re worried in the middle of the adventure [you will] wish to remember [these hints & advice].

解決の糸口になるかも・・・ ???????????????????????

It must mean something like "the resolution to this might be beginning below" but that is just my guess. Could somebody help me out with an explanation please?

share|improve this question
Related (about 〜てほしい in the first sentence, not your actual question): japanese.stackexchange.com/q/15686/1478 –  snailboat May 7 at 8:17

Oh thank you very much!!! –  VictorySaber May 7 at 8:59

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

かも is short for かも知れない【しれない】, which loosely translates as "probably". In this case, "It might well be the beginning of a solution," would be a good translation.

share|improve this answer

Ah. Although Rikaichan and alc.co.jp don't help me translate this, I found this example on a Japanese site 明日雨かもしれない - tomorrow it might well rain –  VictorySaber May 7 at 9:30

Maybe is more common translation than "might well be", which to my ears suggests a higher degree of probability (than maybe). –  Tim May 7 at 10:46

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.